ADL: Using ADT to Prepare Molecules for AutoDock

Matthew Stuible matthew.stuible at mail.mcgill.ca
Sat Apr 15 09:42:07 PDT 2006

Hello,

I'm also interested in this question. It has been suggested previously
to use the ProDRG server to prepare energy-minimized ligand structures
with partial charges. However, I am currently trying to dock a compound
containing an azolidinedione ring, and the partial charges on the
heteroatoms generated by ProDRG seem unreasonably high. The partial
charge estimates for this ring generated by ADT are more reasonable.
However, the compound also contains a nitro group, and ADT can't handle
nitro groups properly (they end up with a net charge of ~ -1). Finally,
these two software packages also generate dramatically different charge
estimates for halogens.

Is there any free software that could do a better job? I work in a
molecular biology lab and I couldn't justify purchasing software like SYBYL.

Thanks!

Matt