ADL: Tkinter Problem

Sargis Dallakyan sargis at scripps.edu
Tue Oct 16 15:37:27 PDT 2007

Ben Staley wrote:
> Am running OS X 10.4.10 with X11 1.1 installed. Have installed
> mgltools_i86Darwin8_1.4.6.dmg in view to run autodock4.
> On running AutoDockTools-1.4.6 am presenting with the error message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Library/MGLTools/1.4.6/MGLToolsPckgs/
> AutoDockTools/__init__.py", line 303, in startADT
>    from Tkinter import Tk
>   File "/Library/MGLTools/1.4.6/share/lib/
> python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py",line 38 in ?
>    import _
>
> Looking at line 38 in full:
>
> import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
>
> This would suggest that tkinter is not working for this install. Have got Python
> 2.5.1 installed and Tkinter is working correctly in that environment, but am I
> to understand that the Python 2.4 included with the AutoDockTools is the one
> that needs to be configured for the correct running of the Tkinter module?

Thanks for the bug report. Could you please update to the latest version of X11
and see if it fixes the problem?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11update2006113.html
http://mgltools.scripps.edu/documentation/faq/x-error-on-startup-mac-os-x

mgltools_i86Darwin8_1.4.6.dmg contains Python 2.4 and Tcl/Tk 8.4 that we build
on iMac and /Library/MGLTools/1.4.6/share/bin/adt sets all environment variables
to ensure that we use Python and Tkinter distributed with MGLTools.

If upgrading to the latest X11 doesn't solve the problem please run
otool -L /Library/MGLTools/1.4.6/i86Darwin8/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so
and send me the output.

Thanks,
Sargis