ADL: Cannot copy the setup files in bin in root also

Daniel Jana dfjana at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 05:57:44 PDT 2008

Hello anantha

I already replied to your email, but here it goes again.
First of all, I think this kind of doubts is out of the scope of this
mailing list. You are having problems with Linux, not Autodock. So, you
should look for help in the correct place i.e. a Linux forum or mailing
list.
That said your problem is you are trying to move files but you are on
the wrong place.

In your last email you said:

"$ cd /home/iocb/Desktop
$ tar xvzf autodocksuite-4.0.1-i86Linux2.tar.gz
i86Linux2/
(...)"

If you didn't delete the folders, then the autodock folder should still
be in the desktop and be called i86Linux2.
What you are trying to do now is move the same files but from your home
directory. And, since the file isn't there the computer says... that the
file isn't there.
So, after you change to root you should do:
cd /home/iocb/Desktop/i86Linux
mv auto*4 /usr/local/bin

If the first command doesn't work then it is because you already deleted
that folder so you should decompress the file again.
While you are as root, you don't need to use the sudo command. The sudo
command is to do things as if you were root. If you are root, then you
don't need to work as if you were root.

Daniel

PS - While it is not your main interest, if you are going to use
Autodock under a Linux environment I would recommend you to buy a book
about it. It doesn't have to be a big one, just some basic steps and
commands. If just copying the autodock to the /usr/local/bin is giving
you all this problems, I guess you'll have a difficult time from now one...