ADL: ADT problems on Mac OS 10.5 and Leopard

Sargis Dallakyan sargis at scripps.edu
Mon Mar 10 10:38:56 PDT 2008

lakshmi ganesan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie to autodock. I downloaded and installed MGLTools ver Mac OS X
> 10.5.0 - Intel on my new macbook. Howver I encountered the
> error:"_THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTI
> ONALITY__YOU_MUST_EXEC_() to debug"
>
> Then I found the instruction on How to get ADT started on Leopard and
> proceeded to downlaod and install OS X 10.4 - Intel version. However, the
> installation aborts saying that a higher version of MGLTools is present and
> it cannot proceed. Then  I did the following:

Thanks for bringing up the Leopard issue. The how-to applies to version 1.4.6 of
MGLTools. I retracted it since I no longer provide support for that version.  My
apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

To fix your problem you need to reinstall the latest version of MGLTools
(1.5.0). Then start adt from a command line (/Library/MGLTools/1.5.0/bin/adt)
and ignore _THE_PROCESS... messages. Also, try to bring back Tiger's X11 to
Leopard: http://aaroniba.net/articles/x11-leopard.html

I had a chance to work on a Laptop with Mac OS X 10.5.2 last week. There are
some changes done in this version of Lepoard that causes ImportError: The
_imaging C module is not installed in addition to _THE_PROCESS... and ADT fails
to start. Reinstalling Python Imaging Library (PIL) from source did not fix the
problem; PIL was causing segmentation fault and gdb gave me no clue as to why.

The only option left for me was to downgrade X11. In my case (no Mac's installer
CDs), the only way I was able to get Tiger's X11 on Leopard was by coping
/usr/X11R6 from another machine with Mac OS X 10.4 installed.

> 1. I went ahead and deleted the MGLtools folder from te applications folder.
>
> 2. Also, I deleted the MGLtools folder form the /library directory from the
> terminal window.
> 3. I have verified that there is no folder called mgltools on the machine.
>
> Yet, when I yry to install the lower version, the installation fails saying
> that a higher version exists.
>
> How do I uninstall MGLtools for Mac OS X 10.5.0 - Intel from my macbook?

Note that neither MGLTools nor any other application installed with Mac
installer has uninstaller:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

Besides removing /Library/MGLTools and /Application/MGLTools-* you can also
remove MGLTools_*.pkg from /Library/Receipts/.

You can also use our "low-tech" tarball installer. It has no GUI, no
installation check and no administrator password is needed. It can be
uninstalled by simply deleting the folder it creates.

Hope this helps,
Sargis