ADL: URGENT HELP NEEDED TO KEEP PMV, ADT and Vision funded

Raymond C. Fort Jr. rcfort at maine.edu
Thu May 15 06:06:04 PDT 2008

At 06:49 PM 5/14/2008, you wrote:
>Dear PMV, ADT and/or Vision users,
>
>   We apologize for sending this email again, but we still need
>more replies. Please support us and the further development
>of PMV and ADT by filing out the form below and sending it
>back to sanner at scripps.edu
>
>   The development of these software tools has largely been provided
>by the National Center for Biomedical Research (NBCR),
>RR08605 a NIH-funded national resource that we are a part of.
>Our 5 year funding period is coming to an end and we are in the
>process of applying for a 5 year continuation and we need your support.
>If you are using our tools on an NIH-funded research project it would
>strengthen our application tremendously if we could list your project.

Our support is not from NIH; we have multiple sources, including
USDA, NSF, and DoE.

>   We would need to know:
>
>  -     The tool(s) you are using? [ X ]PMV,  [ X ]ADT,  [  ]Vision
>
>  -     The title of your award:     ___Modeling of Wood Degrading
> Enzymes and their Substrates__________________________
>
>  -     The award number:           ______________________________
>
>  -     The funding period:           From:2006                 to :  2009
>
>   Optionally give us:
>
>  - Short description of work

We are examining substrate binding to oxidative enzymes such as
laccase, secreted by wood-rotting fungi, and inhibitor binding to
enzymes from the same sources that hydrolyze cellulose and
hemicellulose.  Our goal in this work is to develop new sources of
high-value chemicals from wood.  We are just beginning an
investigation of the binding of resveratrol analogs found in foliage
and bark of conifers to human quinone reductase, and other enzymes
functioning to minimize damage from reactive oxygen species.

>  - Publication from work (if any)

Unpublished so far, but presentations last June at the International
Congress on Biotechnology in the Pulp and Paper Industry (2), at the
USDA Forest Products Lab in September, and at the ACS meeting in New Orleans.

>   We apologize if you get this message multiple times as we are sending
>it to mailing lists for all of our tools and we thank you in advance
>for taking a few minutes of your time to help us secure for continuing
>the development and dissemination of these software tools.
>

>Best regards
>

>The MGLTools software development team

I consider your software invaluable!  Our group is currently the only
one in the country applying these tools in the field of wood chemistry.

Professor Ray Fort Jr.                  rcfort at maine.edu
Department of Chemistry         chemistry.umeche.maine.edu/fort.html
University of Maine                     Voice: (207)-581-1180
Orono, ME 04469                 FAX: (207)-581-1191

Computer modeling of organic and biomolecules; chemistry of lignin
and cellulose