ADL: (no subject)

Avni P Nimani animani at nmu.edu
Thu Apr 2 20:30:42 PDT 2009

            I am a graduate student working on his thesis involving
docking using AutoDock 4.0 and ran into an interesting circumstance.
The docking of the ligand using a rigid body macromolecule gives a
rather weak Ki of 10^-4 M; however, I made 5 residues flexible in the
macromolecule binding pocket and the strength of the Ki increased to
10^-11 M.  Much of the binding energy is being contributed by internal
energy.  I was wondering on how to deal with this consequence, as it
seems that much of the increase in energy is a result of the flexible
macrolecule residues as opposed to an increase in intermolecular
interactions with the ligand.  What would you suggest?  And is there
any references or literature available that addresses this issue or at
least papers in which flexible macromolecule residues are used?  I only
found one paper in PubMed that reported using four flexible
macromolecule residues, but I don't think they reported how they dealt
with the internal energy issues.
           The protein was generated by homology modeling.  The
structure was minimized by L-BFGS method to RMS of 0.1.  The gradient
of 0.1 was chosen simply because the desired effect was to leave the
model as close to crystallographic data as possible, in which major
problems such as bond distances were fixed.  The minimized model was
assessed for peculiarities by PROCHECK, in which the model was found to
have no steric clashes and 99% of residues were in allowed
conformational regions.  The final receptor protein conformation was
highly energetically favorable.
         Flexible receptor docking without a ligand is not possible
since nothing is actually docking.  The rigid receptor docking shows
the internal energy due to the ligand to be small relative to the
intramolecular energies.  This control serves the purpose of comparison
the best because you can approximate how much contribution to the
internal is coming from the flexible residues in the binding pocket as
opposed to the ligand.  I appreciate advice anyone can provide
regarding this issue knowing that the residues of interest are not
clashing.

                                       Sincerely,
                                                  Avni