ADL: Which conformation is the "true conformation"?

mcmartin at student.matnat.uio.no mcmartin at student.matnat.uio.no
Thu Apr 23 08:30:55 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm fully aware of the limitations of docking software and that it should
only be used as some kind of guidance prior to in vitro experiments.
Having said that, I'm trying to understand the results for several
compounds in which each docking gave me an .dlg output file with 200
different conformations ranged by binding energy values and dissociation
constants. So my question is, do you guys just pick the conformation of
lowest energy and work further upon that? Or do you look upon the
clusterings and see the number of conformations per energy value? Or the
RMSD values?

Watching the Vina tutorial video was very clarifying, since Oleg Trott
showed the theory behind docking programs and the relationship between
conformations, loss of entropy and energy values, where he clearly picks
the conformation that the program assumes is the one correct. Do you know
how to make a graphic representation like that?

Marcus