ADL: regarding active site

Stefano Forli forli at scripps.edu
Fri Jun 12 20:17:12 PDT 2009

Dear Andreas, Davide, Joshi,

there is a little bit of misunderstanding related to procedures you described.

The position of the grid defines the tridimensional space in which the search is
performed. The placement of the grid (i.e. the center) is relative to the protein
coordinate system.

The best procedure would be to open ligand and protein as different objects and placing
and resizing the grid via the AutoDockTools graphical user interface [1]:
-by manually tuning the parameters
-by center on atom, macromolecule or a ligand, if the location of the binding site is known.

The grid must be calculated on the protein structure without the ligand to be docked, and
the grid size should be big enough to allow the arrangement of the ligand.

If the location of the binding site is not known, it's possible to perform a so called
blind docking on the entire protein [2].

The docking calculation will try to find the best solution inside the pre-calculated grids.

The starting position of your ligand doesn't affect the calculation results.

The docking results should be inside the grid box. If none of them are in the box,
something was not correctly set in the docking parameter file (the most frequent culprit
is the "about" keyword).

If the docking results are inside the box but not in the experimental binding site (for
that particular ligand) it could mean that search parameters used are not sufficient for
sampling the search space.

The docking parameters can be defined as described in the AutoDockTools tutorial [1].

I hope this helps,

Stefano

[1]
http://autodock.scripps.edu/faqs-help/tutorial/using-autodock-4-with-autodocktools/UsingAutoDock4WithADT_1.4.5d.pdf