ADL: too big RMSD

Christina Ha christina_triple_h at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 31 06:32:36 PST 2013

Hi,

this is quoted from other mailing lists:
[Hi, as from the AutoDock 4.2 manual (page 38): rmsref <filename> (Optional) If included, the RMSD of the docked conformations will be calculated with respect to the coordinates in the PDB or PDBQT file specified here. This is useful when the experimentally determined complex conformation of the ligand is known. The order of the atoms in this file must match that in the input PDBQT file given by the move command. These values of RMSD will be output in the last column of the final PDBQT records, after the clustering has been performed. If this keyword is not included, the RMSD is calculated based on the starting position of the ligand. Stefano ]

This should mean co-crystalised ligand cannot be used as reference for RMSD of other test ligands.
Usually Reference RMSD for co-crystallised ligand is very low, only for new ligands it is very high due to the fact that Reference RMSD is calculated from initial position of the ligands which is not in the binding pocked. For instance, many compounds downloaded from pubchem has center coordinates around 0.000.

I've tried using Vina conformations as reference structure, managed to lower the Reference RMSD.
Another way is to choose one of the conformations in DPF file, save as PDBQT, let AutoDock Tools use it as reference to re-calculate RMSD. This is mentioned in the manual for AutoDock Tools. (The way i do it is to visualize the conformations, and choose the one that binds the most similar way to the co-crystalized ligand)
Regards,
Christina