ADL: About license of Autodock Vina

arthur olson olson at scripps.edu
Wed Jan 7 10:59:13 PST 2015

Yes, you may compile the source code for AutoDock Vina and then bundle
the recompiled binary with your distribution.

Art Olson
On 1/7/15 12:26 AM, 李佳憲 wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> Recently I'm developing an application which will call and run Autodock Vina executable.
>
> (Thus, my work contains no source code from Autodock Vina)
>
> If I can bundle Autodock Vina binary into my software binary distribution, my users may benefit.
>
> However, I found the binary distribution of Autodock Vina for Windows on official site have different license from others (Apache license).
>
> ( http://vina.scripps.edu/download/autodock_vina_1_1_2_win32.msi , in which contains a special license )
>
> I would like to confirm my understanding to this situation:
>
> 1. I cannot redistribute vina.exe from autodock_vina_1_1_2_win32.msi
>
> 2. However, I can compile a working vina.exe from source for Windows, then bundle the recoompiled binary with my application without any problem.
>
> I would like to know if my statement above have any mistake.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Chia-Hsien Lee
> Student of National Taiwan University

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Arthur J. Olson, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Integrative Structural and Computational Biology (DISCoBio)
The Scripps Research Institute
La Jolla, CA 92037
tel. (858) 784-9702
fax. (858) 784-2860