ADL: Simple survey - A or B

Rick Sheridan ricksher at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 03:25:09 PDT 2020

Thank you both very much for the responses and background. I've forwarded
to my contacts in the organization that's capable of doing anything about
it which is all I can say about that (reminder this is a publicly-viewable
forum). I'm personally at your disposal for reaching via ricksher _at_
gmail.

Out of curiosity, can you describe whether your respective research
activity is covid-related or non-covid-related?

Best,
Rick

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 5:56 PM Van Dam, Hubertus <hvandam at bnl.gov> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> B. in response to an over simplified question.
>
> This may not be entirely helpful as you are probably trying to make a
> simple decision, but I'll provide with my view anyway and you can decide
> whether you want to use that information.
>
> 1. Reverting to back to Mojave violates my organization's cybersecurity
> policy and I might get kicked off the network.
>
> 2. The 64-bit Mac issue is not going away and we'll need a 64-bit
> AutoDockTools at some point no matter what (you support that for Linux so I
> don't think that is particularly hard for a Mac)
>
> 3. The more troubling issue on the Mac that worries me is that they are
> moving away from OpenGL (they are adopting Metal). As a result you cannot
> even install AutoDockTools on a remote Linux machine and throw a Window
> back to your screen. The only thing that I have been able to get to work
> somewhat is installing 64-bit Linux AutoDockTools in a Docker container,
> and using the Mac Screenshare feature to access the graphics. This approach
> is, however, very unstable with the whole container crashing frequently.
> Fixing this problem seems like a major issue to me. Of course, you're not
> the only one hit by this problem. VMD is in a similar pickle although
> someone has been able to compile a version of VMD for Catalina (see the
> most popular answer to this question:
> https://www.researchgate.net/post/VMD_not_working_on_macOS_1015_Catalina-Any_suggestions
> which is what I am using nowadays). This port was built by Francois-Xavier
> Coudert and he must have figured out how to get around the OpenGL issue, so
> it might be worth asking him.
>
> 4. In the meantime I use AutoDockTools on a remote Linux machine without
> any of the graphical functionality. Whenever, I need graphics I bring the
> data back to my Mac and visualize things as best as I can with VMD. As I
> work with a team of people where a lot of the data preparation is done by
> others this kind of works for me. I realize that most other users won't be
> in this situation and that the lack of visualization capabilities will hit
> them a lot harder.
>
> I hope this information helps.
>
> Best wishes,
>
>     Huub

> Hubertus van Dam, 631-344-6020, hvandam at bnl.gov
> Brookhaven National Laboratory
>

> On 4/23/20, 05:34, "autodock-bounces at scripps.edu on behalf of Rick
> Sheridan" <autodock-bounces at scripps.edu on behalf of ricksher at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Autodock users -
>
>     A) Would you like a private link to downgrade back to Mojave (32-bit)
> [...]

Rick Sheridan
Whatsapp:  +65-8375-8380