ADL: Problem with AutoDock Vina Modeling

Leandro Bortot leandro.obt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 18:03:20 PDT 2020

Hello Tram,

     The parameters for Vina are hardcoded, which means that you need to
get the source code, make your modifications and recompile vina from source.
     Specifically, the parameters are in src/lib/atom_constants.h.

     A good way to derive your parameters would be to create the new At
atom type using the existing parameters for I and making the appropriate
changes such as increasing its radius.
     After doing this, you need to compile Vina with the new parameters.
     Finally, you can validate your parameters by performing docking
calculations and comparing your results with experimental data. It may be
hard to get experimental data for molecular interactions with At-containing
molecules, but maybe your research group has something.

     Another way, which isn't so polished but is way easier and that may be
useful to give you some insights, is to just change At to I in your
molecules. Vina will perform the docking since it already knows I. However,
you have to carefully take this (arguably big) "approximation" into
consideration when interpreting and discussing your results, especially if
there are direct protein-At contacts (assuming you are performing
protein-ligand dockings).

I hope it helps,
Leandro
-------
Leandro Oliveira Bortot
Postdoctoral Fellow
<http://linkedin.com> https://www.linkedin.com/in/leandro-obt/
Laboratory of Computational Biology
Brazilian Biosciences National Laboratory (LNBio)
Brazilian Center for Research in Energy and Materials (CNPEM)
Zip Code 13083-970, Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil.